So...we left off with some sanded and naked drawer fronts. I liberally applied ebony stain (and actually after this picture went back and touched up the veneer patches because they weren't quite right!), and the patches started to blend in pretty well. Not perfect, but getting there!
There was also quite a bit of patching and rebuilding to do on the body of the vanity/island, so I set to work with my putty knife and some wood filler.
It took a few rounds to build up this missing corner piece (not a great photo, but the whole section was gone!) and to sand it smooth.
I spent a bit of time stripping and then sanding down the top of the island/vanity because I want to oil it with mineral oil so that it will be food safe for the kitchen. Plus, I love the contrast it will have with the white paint.
I also slapped on a first coat of off-white homemade chalk paint. I can't wait to see what the final product will look like. I still need to figure out what I'm going to do with the rest of the drawer fronts...