Monday, April 22, 2013

Easy Art - World Map Mirror

I picked up TWO of these framed mirrors at an estate auction for a price so low, I can't publish it here, because it will make too many readers jealous!

This project was quick and easy and used a lot of tried-and-true techniques I've picked up over the years. 

For a time I used to make my own tumbler glasses out of recycled Perrier (or comparable No Name brand) bottles.  The process to cut the glass and grind down the lip of the glass is complicated, and not what this post is about (plus I don't have process pictures)....so skip ahead to the part where I etch the glasses using acid etching cream. 


I use Armour Etch, but there are other brands out there, too.  I buy mine off of Ebay usually since I can get a better deal.  I loves me some deals! 

The technique I use is simple - and is similar to how I stencil my pillows. I find a design or image I like, often I blow it up using Block Posters, and I print it out.  Then I glue the image on to Mac Tac or contact paper and use nail or embroidery scissors to cut out the design. 






If it's a large image, be very careful applying the contact paper.  Apply it in sections and be certain to push out any air bubbles.  Sometimes I have to cut a slit or seam in the contact paper as it can stretch a little during application.  I'll do this so I can get most of the image lined up properly, and then fill in the gap that might be left with a small piece of contact paper. 

Be sure to really rub down around the edges of the image - you can use a credit card.  Or if you're me, you use your nail (or perhaps, more accurately, stubby nail nubbin). 

I didn't snap a picture of the acid cream application.  You can image it though; the cream has a consistency like toothpaste and can also be spread with an old credit card.  A great bonus: acid cream is reuseable!  So, coat your image with a thick, even, layer, let sit for 20-30 mins., and then scrape off using the credit card and return it to the tub!  How's that for value-for-money?  After you remove the acid cream, you'll want to wipe it down with water and an old rag.  Warning: do not get the acid cream on any other surface than the one you want etched - it WILL mark any other glass surface it come in contact with, even for a minute! 


Here's a peek at the mirror in process.  I'm removing the contact paper after having removed the acid cream.  Nice crisp lines!


Polish the mirror and you're finished!  A functional art piece for your bedroom, office or to create interest in the hallway.  You can use acid etching cream on any glass surface - try it!  You can make all kids of neat and inexpensive gifts. 


  

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE this Mirror Em!!!! :) I so want it.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sarah! I love it too - since you're home you can come and pick it up! :) If it doesn't sell I'm keeping it for Chris' office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could get it but there's an issue of a spot to store it in Ontario...until I move back here and that is a to be determined date! :) it would ROCK in Chris' office!

      Delete