Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Retro Ombre Cabinet

I wanted to get up some pictures of the tables I completed recently, but discovered that a certain special someone happened to take the camera with him to work (out of town) for the week.  SO...here's a project I finished last year instead. 

I LOVED this update - and sold it to a friend before I had a chance to list it. 


I bought this dated (let's just say it: *ugly*) old cabinet at an estate auction for either $7.50 or $12.50..at this point I can no longer remember. 


The inside was nothing to write home about.  So I didn't.  Poor family is still waiting for a letter...

Now for the 'AFTER!' 



Ta da!  I didn't want to give this cabinet just any old makeover (because frankly, it needed more than that!).  All the 'ombre' furniture makeovers I had been seeing inspired me (and since that fad was a few years old, it was about time for me to jump on the bandwagon) so I thought the cabinet was a perfect makeover.  I had a blue-grey paint I used as my base colour and simply added black or white paint to get the colour gradation. 

I loved how it ended up looking like stained-glass!



 The inside deserved a little attention, so I gave it a fresh coat of white paint.  I also removed the hardware and spray painted them from retro-gold to modern-brushed silver.  Perfect! 

Here are a couple of things I learned waaay back then:

    Semi-gloss 'Painter's Touch' black paint doesn't mix well into 'homemade chalk paint.'  I don't know why.  It just doesn't.  I used a coat of white high adherence primer: Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3.  After the primer dried, I painted it with about 3 coats of the black semi-gloss. 






To get a nice, smooth finish on top of your paint you can try thinning the paint down with water (this will dilute the pigmentation of your paint - ie: make your paint a bit 'lighter') or with a special 'paint extender' which doesn't dilute the colour but extends the time paint stays 'wet' and also helps it to 'settle' with fewer brush strokes when you're finished.  I use this brand from Benjamin Moore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment