Monday, January 21, 2013

Burlap Pillows

It's official: I am currently having a love affair with burlap. 

It's not that I don't see Burlap's flaws, I *do* (it's scratchy, it sheds, it doesn't clean up after itself, it hangs around even when I don't want it to, it's hard to handle and can be unpredictable)...it's just that I don't *care*. 

True love, fo sho.

I also really love NOT using a Silhouette machine to create stencils (because I can't afford one...so it's not so much a choice as a necessity) .  I can do whatever I want and make it as big (or small), as I want. 

I'm trying to put together a collection of 'smalls' for a craft show in the Spring.  Believe it or not, people, I'm a craft show virgin.  I've been waiting for just the right craft show, and I think I've found it.  Check it out: Peterborough Handmade.

I worked on these ad-or-able pillows over the weekend.  Now, I'm worried that I'm two-timing because I love pillows.  It's tough around here.

First, I measured the throw pillow I needed to cover, then I ironed and cut the burlap to size - with about an inch of seam allowance (like how I use that term, as if I really know what I'm talking about when it comes to sewing?  Yeah, me too). 

Then, I sewed the burlap together using some acrylic wool.  BY HAND.  Why?  You guessed it!  Because I don't have a sewing machine.  Yes, I need to get a sewing machine.  Anyone want to donate?



I found an image I liked and thought would be ad-or-able on a rustic looking pillow, printed it out, and cut it out of some contact paper with sewing scissors.  This is my go-to way of creating my own stencils.  Works like a charm.  They're even reuseable if you're careful! 

 
A little black latex paint, a little white-ish latex paint...et voila! 
PS: Homemade chalk paint doesn't work as well for stencil-painting.  I prefer pure latex; it creates a cleaner line and deeper pigmentation on the fabric. 
 

Cute, right? I'm planning on selling these for about $15 each. Would you buy one?
Sharing this DIY here:

  DIY Project Parade featured image
The Shabby Nest

4 comments:

  1. super cute I would buy them. I used your sharpie method and loved it. thank you for your input.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! So glad you tried the permanent markers and loved it! I find permanent markers on fabric is a much tricker medium (the markers have to be 'drier' or 'older' so there's less bleeding on the fabric), but I have had some decent results on fabric as well - it's just harder to control and predict the outcome. Wood and painted surfaces are great!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I love your blog! Your creations are beautiful and you are sooo funny! Where did you get this Queen bee design? I love this one but can't find it anywhere! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used to want to be stand-up comedian. Then I realised how much work that would actually involve. So I started a blog instead. Same-same but different, right?

      You can purchase the Queen Bee stencil off of ebay from a store/company called "The Stencilsmith" Do that, and you'll have this stencil forever! Or, you can google 'Queen Bee Stencil' and see what comes up...

      Happy crafting!

      Delete